Monday 16 May 2011

Twenty-Something Married and Living in the Dirty Dam

Wasn’t at all where I expected to be...I think while sitting in my balcony drinking endless shots of Arabian coffee.  Born in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia it was decided relatively early to send us abroad for a formal education in the hope that we would one day return to live the middle-eastern dream, a job in an international company, compound, chauffer, free healthcare etc.

But life doesn’t always go according to plan; the divine hand of providence sometimes gives you a gentle push in the opposite direction. After completing my Academics I met my prince charming who swept me off my size 4 feet and placed me on a flight to the Netherlands!

Not your typical fairytale ending but:

 …You may dislike something which is good for you, and you may like something which is bad for you. God knows while you do not know. [The Holy Quran 2:216

It took me a while to overcome my initial prejudices, but trying to look on the bright side I set about getting to know more of Amsterdam which I now lovingly refer to as the dirty dam…its narrow streets, canals, museums, galleries and all the in-betweens.

 So this is my blog on all of the above

7 comments:

  1. Thinking about Holland, I see broad rivers moving slowly through endless lowlands.
    Rows of unthinkably thin poplars standing as high plumes one above the other.
    And sunken within wonderful space, farm houses scattered throughout the land.
    Clusters of trees, villages, cropped towers, churches and elms in one great association.
    The air hangs low and the sun is slowly muffled in a gray mottled fog,
    And in the many provinces the voice of the water with its eternal calamities is feared and heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, you might have overcome your prejudices, but i HAVNT! as bitter as thhis sounds, holland is still the land of mukhadaraat lol and now the land of my favourite BD media classmate, naming no names! lol guess who! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOllllllllllllllll nioce!!!! Since everyone is anon here, I'll do the same :)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. this whole anon trend is getting rather confusing it only works when its one person or when your kind enough to leave a clue

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol as offended as i am.....well done my dutch friend!

    very interestin................i shall return soon

    N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looool, I hope the 'short friend' wasn't a reference to me hunny bunny, there was a time when I was taller than you, ahhhh the good ol' days, rememberrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?????????????????

    I shall be known as (my location).........down under (jeeeeeeeeees that sounds even worse) DU, that is my calling card, hope that is obvious enough Miss smarty pants, oh I mean Mrs. smarty pants.

    ReplyDelete