Thursday 19 May 2011

Handbags & Pensioners (The Tassen Museum, Amsterdam)

Conveniently located near the tram stop and with huge sign posts marking out its location, the Tassen Museum (Museum of Bags and Purses for us English speaking folk) ' hosts a collection of 3,000 bags and purses from designer to contemporary to vintage. A girls dream you suppose, well not quite.

My mind was racing with the endless thought of bags, big, small, ivory gold, Valentino & Versace I arrive at the door, take a deep breath and walk in to find…no less than 20 pensioners in the small foyer bumbling about, its probably just one group I say as I purchase the ticket giving me access to explore 3 floors of bags.

So, I start from the 3rd floor down and on every floor there’s a hoard of pensioners with a guide who bellowed out information to her flock. Not the ideal setting to enjoy the fine collection so unfortunately I didn’t spend much time reading the very helpful and informative posts regarding the different eras, styles and materials. .

Not being allowed to take pictures (except the building and gift shop?) I am not able to fully share my experience with you but I did manage to get a snap in the staircase, gift shop and THE CHAMPAGNE BAG





No comments:

Post a Comment