Thursday 26 May 2011

Poetry & Nostalgia

Growing up, the Cherry Blossom tree in the garden was a big part of my life. It was a beauty to see in full bloom and sometimes a nuisance when its flowers would fall in the Autumn.

This post is a poem that i have written regarding my Cherry Blossom tree and the inevitable nostalgia that arises from life on the move, as an expat.

Dear Cherry Blossom

I remember you, fondly
The beautiful hues of pink that your flower exudes
The petals that the gentle breeze would whisk down to me
The way your branches outstretch in its full glory
And shelter me from the harsh rays of the Sun.

Oh Cherry Blossom tree; how I miss your cycles
Autumn, Winner, Spring & Summer
How I envy your root; fixed firmly under the soil
Entrenched, permanent, everlasting

You have nothing to fear; not even the tree surgeon
As he cuts you with his chainsaw leaving only a stump
Remember you still have your roots firmly planted
The blessings of nature is the curse of man

Our feet move us, the elements move us
Abandoning our roots, once twice, thrice
With no soil or bedding to bind us
I leave you dear cherry blossom tree

You may not have me,
And I may not have you
But you have your roots
But you have your roots


15 comments:

  1. Grove, Ladbroke Grove26 May 2011 at 05:40

    Aw, I'm going to book you a ticket to go to Japan. Their sakura trees will give you a heart attack on sight. So much trees... so much nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooh such generosity. But I'd rather take the cash instead and look at sakura trees via the net.

    You can send me the funds via telegraphic transfer.

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grove, Ladbroke Grove26 May 2011 at 11:39

    I forgot to mention... If you're going, so am I. So no japan - no cash.

    They'll be no transfer of the sort. Lol You sound like those nigerian scam emails.

    But I'll break off a branch from the tree and send it to you, if you like? Your poem was lovely btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL, well if its with you il go without hesitation, and if you only knew how many scams i receive you would totally understand why i talk the way i do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grove, Ladbroke Grove27 May 2011 at 12:03

    I would tell you to get those hotmail upgrade anti-junk (clearly doesn't have a formal name) thing to install, but I know you enjoy reading the junk that comes your way. lool Free trip to space, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem really but I believe you have left a section out lovely..........
    remember the times when this 'dear cheery blossom' did your head in, caused you to sneeze uncontrollably, made your eyes sooooooo red it wasn't funny, it made your sinuses so swollen you couldn't tell if a sneeze was coming or going (or was that mum, I can never tell you apart any more LOl). I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder, you only tend to remember the good ol' times eh. But yes it is a beautiful tree isn't it :))))))))).

    ReplyDelete
  7. LooooooooooooL, agreed although it was mum who bore the brunt of the trouble. I have mild hayfever so hey its all good.

    & its true you only remember the good things as time passes by, and so im going back for 3weeks this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But you know what the crux of the poem is? its that we humans are mobile and trees are not which is a source of envy to the expat (i have too much time on my hands lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looool, That's deep!! You're going home sooooooo lucky, you envy the tree and I envy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evilllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!! cute but Evillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW did you read the book??????????????

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started but i dont really agree with his theories too far-fetched and goes against basic conventions x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Basic conventions?????? What do you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've sent you an email but in short those people appear after eesa reappears so it makes no sense to say its a certain country or there here altrady.

    ReplyDelete